Vegetable skewers from the oven with courgettes, colorful peppers and red onions are grilled to perfection. Marinated with an oregano marinade and served with spicy balsamic vinegar and a yoghurt sauce made from grated cucumbers and fresh mint. These marinated fresh vegetable skewers are packed with flavor – perfect as a healthy side to any meal or as a family dinner. Colorful vegetables are much more fun, more attractive to eat and if all dishes were like that, many could easily give up meat and become vegetarian tomorrow.
Yes, admittedly these are really simple vegetable skewers, but simple doesn’t mean boring. I promise these aren’t boring veggie skewers. And if you like veggies, then you’ll love these grilled veggie skewers, too.
These colorful beauties are coated with a light and fresh garlic herb sauce. Just as simple as the vegetable skewers, this sauce is made with minced garlic, dried oregano, agave syrup, olive oil, salt and pepper. If you’re a vinegar lover like me, a dash of balsamic vinegar always adds a little oomph. If you don’t have balsamic vinegar on hand, a good squeeze of lemon juice will do.
Which vegetables are good for grilling?
I feel like I’ve grilled most of the vegetables over the years. This is my list of vegetables to grill this summer.
- Zucchini, the summer squash, always works, whether green or yellow
- Onions – red onions are my favorite
- Shallots – small and sweet I love them
- Peppers – in all colors and shapes
- Mushrooms – such as king oyster mushrooms, button mushrooms, especially Portobello mushrooms
- Tomatoes – big juicy heirloom tomatoes or the small cherry tomatoes on the skewer are all delicious. The trick is to get them off the grill before they pop. You can halve large tomatoes beforehand.
- Broccolini – Baby broccoli, not to be confused with broccoli
- Corn – everyone knows
If you like our vegetable skewers from the oven, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- vegan street corn pasta salad
- baked Chinese cabbage with oatmeal and cheese crust
- Cauliflower steaks from the oven
- Lukewarm lentil salad on baked leeks
- Dukkah tabbouleh with roasted vegetables
- tender miso onions from the oven
Vegetable skewers from the oven or from the grill
for the vegetable skewers:
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 15 to 20 minutes. How many skewers you need depends on how big you cut the vegetables. I made 6 skewers the size shown in the pictures (pieces about 3x3 cm).
- Halve the peppers, deseed, remove the white membrane and cut into pieces.
- Peel, halve or slice the onions or shallots.
- Cut zucchini into slices.
- Peel and finely chop or grate the garlic.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- For the marinade - in a bowl, whisk together olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, agave nectar, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Thread the vegetables alternately onto the skewers and place in a grill pan or casserole dish.
- Brush the vegetables with the marinade on all sides.
- Place the vegetable skewers in the oven (I like to use the top rack) and roast for 10 to 15 minutes. Then turn all the skewers once and roast for another 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, coarsely grate the cucumber and finely chop the mint. Mix both with the soy yoghurt and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve ready-made vegetable skewers with yoghurt dip and, if you like, a dash of balsamic vinegar.