This vegan BBQ cauliflower pizza is actually the vegan version of a BBQ chicken pizza. Only instead of the chicken we used the healthy cauliflower. Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable that you can use it to cook so many delicious vegan dishes. Making the vegan pizza is simple and super easy. I like to use homemade pizza dough, but if you don’t have time or have a lazy day, you can use ready-made dough you bought at the grocery store.
What do you need for the vegan pizza?
The list of ingredients for this vegan pizza with BBQ cauliflower is manageable. You need:
- half a fresh cauliflower
- vegan BBQ sauce
- Garlic powder or garlic granules
- smoked paprika powder
- optional liquid smoke (but you can also omit it)
- Homemade or self-bought pizza dough
- spring onions
For the vegan wild garlic sauce, I mixed soy yoghurt and our homemade wild garlic pesto. Fast, easy and delicious. If it’s not wild garlic time, you can chop some garlic instead and mix it with the yoghurt to make a dressing.
How is it done?
- If you want to use homemade pizza dough, start with the dough. If you’re using a ready-made dough, skip this step.
- Divide the cauliflower into bite-sized florets.
- Mix the BBQ sauce with the spices.
- Mix half of the sauce with the raw cauliflower florets until coated.
- Place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake at 200°C for 15 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is baking, get your pizza dough ready.
- After the cauliflower is baked, mix with the remaining BBQ cauliflower and place on top of the pizza.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and crispy.
- Sprinkle with chopped spring onions and drizzle with wild garlic sauce.
Complete! I often make this recipe as mini pizzas that are easy to munch on.
A few more tips for homemade pizza dough
How long should I let the pizzas bake? I bake my pizza between 12 to 18 minutes. Of course it always depends on how thick the pizza is, what it is topped with and how my oven works. Every oven is different and it is actually impossible to set an exact baking time. The pizza should be lightly brown and crispy after baking. So check the status of your pizza in between and take it out of the oven if necessary.
Can I freeze homemade pizza dough? The answer is simply „yes“. In fact, it’s very easy and works well to freeze pizza dough. Feel free to double the recipe and freeze half in portions. Let the dough rise completely and then place it in a freezer bag. You can store pizza dough in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you like our vegan BBQ cauliflower pizza, you may also be interested in these recipes:
- Pizza di pasta sfoglia
- Tandoori cauliflower with tahini yogurt sauce
- whole baked cauliflower
- vegan cauliflower tofu korma
- roasted cauliflower on puree
vegan pizza with BBQ cauliflower and wild garlic sauce
Pizza dough ingredients:
Prepare pizza dough:
- Skip this step if using ready-made dough from the refrigerated section.
- For the dough, mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well and add the olive oil and lukewarm water.
- Now knead the dough with your hands and if necessary add a little more water. Form a ball and place in a bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Prepare BBQ cauliflower:
- While the dough is rising, prepare the cauliflower.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the cauliflower into small, bite-sized florets and place in a bowl.
- Mix the BBQ sauce with the spices. Now add half of the sauce to the cauliflower florets and mix well until completely coated in sauce. Place the florets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes.
- Mix the baked BBQ cauliflower with the remaining sauce.
Topping and baking pizza:
- Place the risen dough on a lightly floured work surface, divide and shape into two pizzas.
- Scatter the cauliflower over the pizzas. Bake pizzas for 15 - 18 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
- While the pizzas are baking in the oven, we mix the vegan wild garlic sauce. Simply combine the soy yoghurt with the wild garlic pesto in a small bowl and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Serve pizzas sprinkled with spring onions and sauce.