Parsley Pesto is a deliciously green and aromatic herb sauce. Goes perfectly with pasta, pizza, soups and scrambled eggs. Easy Vegan Parsley Pesto Recipe with just 6 ingredients and a purr of your food processor! We’ll show you how to do it. + whether flat or curly parsley makes a better parsley pesto. Get ready for a new twist on an old favorite!
Let’s make parsley pesto
You know pesto, we know pesto. We are preparing a fantastic winter and spring pesto variant here before we can go back to the market to buy fresh basil. Flavor-wise, parsley pesto isn’t an exact replica of its big brother and let’s be honest, we love that. The ingredients for a parsley pesto are the same as for a basil pesto. Just swap out the fresh basil for fresh parsley and you’re in business.
Flat or Curly Parsley – What Should I Buy?
Here, the smooth leaf, also called Italian parsley, is recommended for making parsley pesto. Curly parsley does not have as much herbal or aromatic flavor – and is slightly more bitter. In the photo you can also see the curly parsley in my food processor, but I only saved a bunch from spoiling and just quickly conjured up a pesto out of it.
The taste of Italian parsley is superior to curly parsley!
You can use curly parsley as a garnish, as the curled leaves stand out on platters and buffets with volume.
Notes and Tips
You can also make a basil and parsley pesto with this recipe. Just use half parsley and half basil and taste the flavor and see if you like it.
You can add more oil for a thinner consistency and reduce the amount of oil for a thicker consistency. If you want to reduce the oil to use less fat, you can replace some of the oil with water.
You can also confidently make double or triple the amount of pesto and freeze it for later. This will keep in the freezer for 3 to 6 months.
vegan parsley pesto recipe
- Wash the parsley and chop it roughly.
- If you like, you can lightly toast the pine nuts or nuts in a pan without fat. However, this is optional and left to your personal taste.
- Now put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. If you're making this recipe in a blender, you may need to double the recipe to reach the minimum capacity for smooth blending - or be fine with a coarser & rustic pesto.
- Once everything is in your food processor or hand blender, blend 1-2 times until smooth and scrape down the sides of the jar with a spatula.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. The pesto is then refrigerated for 5-7 days.