Socca is a traditional flat Breton style of pancake. It is made from chickpea flour, olive oil, salt, water and egg. Then they are fried in a pan and seasoned with herbs, for example. There are many different variations – eg with olives, herbs or other spices. This decadent version features vegan socca batter topped with baba ganoush, fresh cherry tomatoes, herbs, olive-lemon dressing and a „Good Morning New Day“ message. Socca with baba ganoush can be enjoyed as a breakfast or snack.
homemade baba ganoush
Baba Ganoush is a traditional, puree of Arabic cuisine. It is made from grilled or baked aubergines, refined with pure garlic, salt, pepper and mint. In recent years, this recipe has gained popularity as a vegan meal for grilling, falafel, or sandwich toppings.
To create the grilled taste in the oven, I halved the aubergines and roasted them cut-side down at 200 °C in the oven. In summer, of course, the charcoal grill in the garden is the best alternative.
You can mix the dip by hand, the roasted eggplant will break down easily if you stir it with a fork. Or do as I do, just finely puree in the food processor. In fact, traditional baba ganoush has some texture.
Season the dip generously with salt. Eggplants are naturally slightly bitter, and the salt reduces that bitter flavor.
The basic recipe for Baba Ganoush is always vegan, gluten-free and nut-free. This makes Baba Ganoush a great dip at buffets where a wide variety of people serve.
How does Baba Ganoush taste?
Baba Ganoush is best compared to hummus. Both dips are originally from the eastern Mediterranean and are often served with flatbread and vegetable sticks.
The taste is earthy and smoky due to the grilled aubergines. Prepared the traditional way, it has a mild flavor that most cooks enjoy with touches of lemon, salt and tahini to keep it interesting.
You can use baba ganoush like hummus – as a dip or spread. You can find a recipe for Baba Ganoush as a delicious dip here .
Have you ever tried socca?
Hailing from Nice, France, this gluten-free chickpea flatbread makes a delicious appetizer, side dish, or light snack.
If you don’t know Socca yet, let me describe it. Socca are savory chickpea pancakes with crispy, golden brown edges and a soft interior. It is popular throughout southern France and northern Italy as well. Once you try it you will see why. Chickpea flour and olive oil give it a rich and nutty flavor. The edges become so deliciously crispy when frying that you will surely eat a second one.
Our socca is in a vegan version in this recipe, where I replaced the egg with a spoonful of flaxseed.
If you like our Socca with Baba Ganoush and Tomatoes, you may also be interested in these recipes:
- vegan zucchini and carrot fritters – quick and crispy
- vegan omelette with BBQ mushrooms
- whole baked cauliflower
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Original Baba Ganoush recipe as a dip and spread
Socca are fritters made from chickpea flour, served with a topping of baba ganoush, fresh tomato & olive-lemon dressing.
Socca with Baba Ganoush
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash and dry the aubergines and cut in half lengthwise.
- Score the flesh of the fruit crosswise. Brush the cut surfaces with olive oil and place the cut surface on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes . then take it out and let it cool down.
- Put aside.
- Mix lemon juice, lemon zest with sugar and salt.
- Finely dice the olives and mix them with the olive oil into the lemon mixture.
- Beforehand, stir the flour mixture for the socca when the aubergines are in the oven, because the mixture has to swell for about 30 minutes .
- Mix all the ingredients for the socca in a bowl with a whisk. Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan with the pastry brush. Pour a quarter of the batter into the pan. and fry until golden to light brown on both sides. The edges should be crispy.
- You can keep the finished Socca warm in the still warm oven.
Arranging and serving:
- It is served by placing a socca on a plate, generously pouring Baba Ganoush on top and covering with halved cocktail tomatoes.
- Drizzle with the olive and lemon dressing and serve sprinkled with basil.