The simplest wholemeal bread to bake yourself from just 5 ingredients (if we count water as an ingredient 😁) and without kneading. Bread recipe for dummies, hearty, healthy, nutritious and delicious! Baking bread is really fun with this bread recipe. So I love making my own whole wheat bread and when it’s as easy as this recipe, then there’s no reason not to do it. A simple dough where the ingredients are just stirred together and done. No kneading necessary.
No kneading necessary
Really, the kneading is absent in this recipe. You simply toss whole wheat flour, dry yeast, and half a teaspoon of salt in a mixing bowl. Then whisk some maple syrup with warm water and mix the wet ingredients into a rather sticky dough. Now pour the dough into a greased loaf tin, let it rise for 20 to 40 minutes, bake and you’re done!
I don’t think it could be easier, right?
- You should always weigh the flour very accurately so that the result is correct later
- Packets of dry yeast weigh between 7 and 10 grams. Read the supplement, because one pack is usually intended for 500 g of flour, which is quite enough for us.
- You can swap out the maple syrup as you like. For example with agave nectar, rice syrup, sugar beet syrup etc.
- After about 20 minutes, the dough can have risen as high as in my picture. If not, add a few more minutes. For me it was 40 minutes. The height after rising is then also the height at which the bread later comes out of the oven.
I mean really, when you don’t feel like cooking, just bake this bread and serve it fresh with a delicious salad, homemade hummus , or baba ganoush . Also serve as a chickpea and avocado sandwich or any other variety of toppings and dinner is ready and dusted!
Of course, this juicy wholemeal bread also goes well with homemade soups and curries . So if you’re having a delicious vegan plantain and potato soup or vegan sweet potato and kohlrabi soup or vegan potato goulash for dinner, then this is a great opportunity to dunk.
Simply bake your own wholemeal bread
- 150 rye flour Type 1150
- 250 G wheat flour Type 1050
- 2 tsp kosher salt*
- ½ Dice fresh yeast or 1 pack dry yeast
- 280 ml water lukewarm
- 1½ el Vinegar
- 130 G sunflower seeds
- Mix both flours with the salt in a bowl.
- Crumble the yeast into 280 ml of lukewarm water and stir. Add the yeast, water, vinegar and 100 g of the sunflower seeds to the flour and knead for about 5 minutes with the food processor or the hand mixer (dough hook).
- Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough again briefly and place in a loaf pan (lined with baking paper). Cover again and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C for a fan oven).
- Brush the dough with a little water and sprinkle the remaining sunflower seeds (or seeds of your choice) on top. Then bake for about 45-50 minutes.