How to clean and cut the mango
Quick Mango Pickles – The mango is a tropical fruit native to India. This fruit has a reddish-green skin and yellow flesh. The special feature of this fruit is its flat and elongated core, which is also firmly attached to the flesh. You have to take that into account when cutting. One of the possible cuts to release the pulp for various uses or to eat the mango naturally is the so-called „porcupine cut“.
How to proceed…
Wash the mango:
To clean and cut the mango, first wash the fruit thoroughly and dry it well.
Cut the mango:
Place the mango on a sturdy cutting board by laying the fruit on its long side and using a sharp knife, cut it along the side of the stone and divide in two.
Remove the core:
Take the half of the mango that contains the stone and repeat the cut to loosen the stone.
Dice the flesh:
Then cut the flesh lengthwise and crosswise into cubes or diamonds, without damaging the skin.
Remove the pulp cubes:
Now press the flesh upwards (as if you want to turn the mango half inside out). Hold the peel with your fingers and remove the pulp cubes with the tip of a knife.
The mango can now be used as per the recipe or eaten right away.
If you like our Quick Mango Pickles, you might also be interested in these recipes:
- fruity summer salad with mango and avocado
- vegan tomato and bean salad
- quick Mediterranean white bean salad
- Potato salad with coriander pesto
- Iced tea with mango and passion fruit
- more salad recipes
Fast mango pickles
- Peel mangoes. Cut the flesh from the core and cut into cubes.
- Peel ginger and grate finely on the fine side of your kitchen grater.
- Mix mango cubes and ginger with salt.
- Toast the coriander seeds in a pan with the vegetable oil for about a minute.
- Crumble the chilli and add to the pan. Add the mango-ginger mixture and sauté for another minute.
- Wash the coriander, shake dry, pluck off the leaves and add to the pan.
- Pour hot mango pickles into clean jars and seal tightly.
- Let steep at least overnight.