This Brussels sprouts dish caught my eye the first time I flipped through the book and it’s just as delicious as it looks on the pages. I’m not sure I would have thought of combining Brussels sprouts with Asian flavors and then serving it over Thai black rice. But both go together perfectly, in Yotam’s signature light and flavorful style. I’m sure we’ll be cooking the combination of peanut and Brussels sprouts on black miso rice again soon.
This healthy, easy, and Christmassy Brussels Sprouts with Black Miso Rice is packed with Asian flavors from ginger, garlic, miso, sesame oil, and of course, Brussels sprouts. Also, it’s great to upgrade the Christmas cabbage buds with a little Asian help. If you only fry the florets for a few minutes, they will retain their bite, which you usually miss when cooking and/or overcooking. Brussels sprouts retain their bright colors even when roasted. This recipe is dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
I hope you have the opportunity to try this recipe soon. Be sure to get a copy of this cookbook. The NOPI – The Cookbook * is a cookbook that you only want to leave lying on your coffee table to read when you are not cooking something with it in the kitchen.
If you like this vegan Christmas recipe for „Peanut Brussels Sprouts on Black Miso Rice“, you may also be interested in these dishes:
- Roasted Brussels sprouts with miso lemon drizzle
- Brussels sprouts and tofu stir fry with miso sauce
- Oven-roasted fennel with parmesan
- Creamy celery puree with baked beets
- Fried aubergines with roasted peppers
- whole baked cauliflower
Peanut Brussels sprouts on black miso rice
For the black miso rice:
- 350 G Black Rice
- 80 G light miso paste
- 45 ml rice vinegar*
- kosher salt*
- 50 ml Peanut oil*
- Ginger about 3cm
- 1-2 red chili pepper
- 1-2 Garlic cloves
- 60 G Peanuts* Asian with skin (or chopped regular peanuts)
- 1 el sesame black/white*
- kosher salt*
Stir-Fried Brussels Sprouts:
- 1 small Bunch of coriander
- 1 limes
black miso rice:
- Place the rice in a large saucepan with 1 liter of water, the miso paste, rice vinegar and about half a teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover and simmer gently for an hour, until very little liquid remains.
- Stir the rice occasionally to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom. If necessary, add a little more liquid if this is used up and the rice is not yet done.
- After an hour, remove the rice from the heat, cover and set aside for about 10 minutes. The rice is done when it still has some bite and the liquid has reduced to the consistency of a risotto.
While the rice is cooking, we prepare the topping and the Brussels sprouts:
- Roast the sesame seeds in a pan without adding fat until golden brown.
- Roughly chop large peanuts.
- Halve the chili lengthways, remove the seeds and white partitions. Then cut lengthways into very thin strips.
- Peel the ginger and cut into long strips similar to the chili.
- Peel the garlic, then cut into slices and also into strips.
- Heat peanut oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the ginger and chili for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and peanuts, fry for a further 3 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to fish everything out of the pan and set aside. We leave the oil in the pan.
- Mix the sesame seeds and salt into the peanut mixture.
- Roast Brussels sprouts:
- Clean Brussels sprouts, remove outer leaves and cut in half.
- Bring the pan back up to temperature, add the Brussels sprouts and a pinch of salt and sauté the Brussels sprouts for about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir or toss frequently.
- When the Brussels sprouts are a dark golden brown and beginning to crisp, remove the pan from the heat and add the sesame oil, mirin, and rice vinegar.
Arranging and serving:
- Rinse the coriander, shake dry and roughly chop.
- To serve, place the rice in a shallow dish or form a nest on a plate.
- Arrange Brussels sprouts on top, sprinkle with coriander and squeeze lime juice, straight from the fruit, over it.
- Finally, top with the crispy peanut mixture and serve.
- Enjoy your meal!
Pin this peanut sprouts on black miso rice recipe on Pinterest to cook later