It’s another rainy winter’s day in Berlin, so what could be better than a bowl of warm, nutritious soup full of vegetables, quinoa and spicy broth?! This healthy quinoa vegetable soup bridges the line between soup and stew, but whatever you call it, this healthy homemade vegetable soup is loaded with veggies, plus kale and quinoa, it’s delicious. It’s also gluten-free and vegan, but you can also serve it sprinkled with parmesan.
Using leftover veggies I had on hand gave me a great starting point for this easy veggie soup. There was also the usual mix of carrots, celery and onions. Along with a can of diced tomatoes, chickpeas (optionally white beans too), quinoa and herbs to complete the palate. A vegan quinoa vegetable soup that is not only super easy to prepare, but also contains healthy and low-fat ingredients overall. All attributes I love!
If you don’t like quinoa yet, you’ll love it in the soup – I promise! It adds fiber, protein and cooks perfectly every time.
Ingredients you need for delicious and healthy quinoa vegetable soup
In this recipe, onions, carrots, celery, and herbs are sautéed and cooked with quinoa, tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, zucchini, kale, and chickpeas for a healthy and delicious soup that’s perfect for a vegan lunch, dinner, or for a weekly meal plan. idea.
Here’s everything you need or could swap out:
- Quinoa: I used white quinoa, but feel free to use your favorite color quinoa.
- Kale: White or savoy cabbage or a handful of spinach.
- Zucchini and peppers: green or yellow, it doesn’t matter. With peppers, of course, red.
- Pumpkin: the variety doesn’t matter here either. I could imagine sweet potatoes too.
- Carrots: a must.
- Celery: add the leaves as well or chop them for garnish.
- Onion: any color fits.
- Herbs: I used fresh thyme, but you can also use herbs de Provence, rosemary, basil, oregano or a Mediterranean spice mix.
- Chopped Tomatoes: use canned diced tomatoes. Drain beforehand, drain well and roast.
- Chickpeas: this is my favorite but delicious white beans would be my next choice.
- Vegetable broth: I like to use a vegan organic broth from my favorite Asian market with water. I didn’t need any salt and the taste is simply delicious with a slight Asian touch.
salt + pepper
If you like our vegan and healthy quinoa and vegetable soup, then these dishes might also inspire you:
In the fridge: Leftover quinoa soup will keep in a tightly sealed container* in the fridge for up to 6 days.
Frozen in the Freezer: This healthy quinoa vegetable soup freezes well for 2 to 3 months. To freeze, allow the soup to cool completely and transfer to freezer-safe containers* . Be careful not to fill the containers to the brim, leave 2 to 3 cm of space to the brim. Slowly thaw completely (in the fridge) before reheating.
Reheating: Simply reheat on the stovetop over low heat until well warmed through. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave, stirring occasionally.
healthy quinoa vegetable soup
- 170 G white quinoa* or red, black, mixed...
- 2-3 el native olive oil
- 1 Onion
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 3 carrots
- 2 celery
- 1 zucchini green or yellow
- 1 Red pepper
- ¼ pumpkin Hokkaido, butternut or sweet potatoes
- 100 G Kale
- 1 canned tomatoes* diced, approx. 750g
- 1 Chickpeas* about 400g
- 750 ml vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- kosher salt*
- Black pepper* from the mill
- chili flakes* to taste
- juice of half a lemon
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Peel carrots and cut into slices or cubes.
- De-thread the celery and cut into pieces about 1 cm long.
- Halve the zucchini lengthwise, then quarter and cut into 1cm cubes.
- Halve the peppers, deseed them, remove the white partitions and roughly dice.
- Also cut the pumpkin into cubes. About the same size as the carrots so it cooks in the same amount of time.
- Cut the tough, thick leaf veins out of the kale and roughly chop the kale.
- Drain canned tomatoes in a colander. Catch Sud while doing so.
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander and rinse under clear water. Drain well.
- For best flavor, rinse and drain the quinoa well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, squash, peppers and zucchini. Fry while stirring until the onions are translucent. This takes about 5 to 6 minutes .
- Sauté the garlic for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add the diced tomatoes to the pot without their juice and let simmer for a few minutes while stirring.
- Pour in the quinoa, tomato liquid and vegetable broth. Strip the thyme from about 5 - 6 sprigs and add to the soup with the bay leaves and chili flakes (to taste). Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring everything to a boil, put the lid on and simmer gently over medium heat for about 25 minutes .
- Add the chickpeas and the chopped kale and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat and remove the bay leaves. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls or plates with bread .
- If not vegan, enjoy with grated parmesan.