This post is also available on: Deutsch
* Dieser Beitrag kann Affiliate-Links enthalten!
This simple quinoa cabbage salad is super easy to make. The only work you really have to do is chop all the ingredients very finely. When that’s ready, all you have to do is combine the cooked quinoa with the prepared ingredients, pour over the dressing, and mix well again.
Quinoa is one of our favorite grains here at home, but also at work in the restaurant. We eat quinoa at least once or twice a week. Either for lunch or dinner and we love it. Why actually? Quinoa has a mild and slightly nutty taste and is versatile. Many different recipes can be prepared with quinoa, such as tabbouleh, a wide variety of salads, casseroles, biscuits and bread. You can even eat quinoa for breakfast because there are quinoa cereals that you can eat in the morning.
Quinoa is also a complete protein as it provides all 9 essential amino acids. This gluten-free source of protein, iron and fiber is quick and easy to prepare. The preparation takes about 20 minutes. But it only tastes good if you cook quinoa properly.
how to cook fluffy quinoa
There are many different ways to cook quinoa. My favorite way is the one described in the recipe below. Making fluffy quinoa is easier than you think. You cook quinoa using the same liquid-to-grain ratio as rice (i.e. 1 part grain and 2 parts water). The liquid can be broth, vegetable broth or salted water. For the sake of simplicity, we prefer to cook with just water.
It is important that you rinse the quinoa under cold running water for about 2 to 3 minutes before cooking. Quinoa has a bitter-tasting coating (called saponin). They are naturally occurring chemical compounds to which some people may be very sensitive. Now when the water is boiling, add the quinoa, cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook them like this for 15 to 20 minutes. Then switch off the heat, remove the pot from the stove and let the pot rest covered for about 5 minutes. When time is up, remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Complete!
if you like our uncomplicated quinoa and cabbage salad, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- Fall salad with quinoa and seasonal vegetables
- vegan crunchy Thai quinoa bowl with peanut sauce
- stuffed pumpkin with vegan vegetable quinoa
- Powerfood combination – vegan basil quinoa over pumpkin
- Moroccan chickpea and carrot stew with fluffy quinoa
- Ayurveda bowl with radish pickles and tahini miso drizzle
easy quinoa cabbage salad
Cook quinoa fluffy:
- Rinse quinoa very well under cold running water, in a colander,
- In a saucepan, bring salted water (twice as much as quinoa) to a boil with a whole clove of garlic. Add quinoa and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until the grains are soft and the liquid has been absorbed. This takes about 15 to 20 minutes. The quinoa should have risen by then.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the quinoa to rest for about five minutes after cooking. After that you can remove the cover.
- Fluff up the grains with a fork.
Prepare salad ingredients:
- Wash all vegetables and drain well.
- Finely chop Chinese cabbage.
- Peel and coarsely grate the carrots.
- Peel and finely dice the onion.
- Cut the scallions into fine rings.
- Lightly toast the walnut kernels in a pan without adding fat. Let cool and roughly chop.
- chop parsley
- Combine all ingredients except for the vinaigrette in a bowl and mix.
- Peel and finely chop a garlic clove.
- Place the garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, lemon juice, agave syrup, and olive oil in a jar and shake until well combined.
Arranging and serving:
- Pour the vinaigrette over the mixed salad and stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper. If necessary, add more lemon or agave syrup.
- Enjoy the quinoa salad, on lettuce or in a bowl, at room temperature or cold from the fridge.