This post is also available on: Deutsch
* Dieser Beitrag kann Affiliate-Links enthalten!
The proven and traditional combination of potatoes and cauliflower is combined with oriental spices and creamy lemony tahini dressing to create this delicious variation of a potato salad.
This vegan salad is ready for your picnics, BBQs, and parties. It might remind you of a bowl due to the ingredients like cauliflower, eggplant, and chickpeas, but the flavors in the homemade tahini dressing take it to the next level.
Potato salad is such a classic summer side dish that we all love. However, many of us try to reduce the simple carbohydrates in our daily diet. Swapping out half the potatoes in this recipe is a simple and effective step that retains all the flavor and texture of the potatoes without the simple carbs. The best part is that it’s actually even easier without peeling the potatoes.
So, why not a potato salad with roasted cauliflower florets and completely different flavors? It takes absolutely no longer than the potato-only salad, is lower in carbohydrates and at least as tasty as the traditional starchy version.
Another little tip if the potato salad has become too salty
It can happen that we have finished preparing our potato salad and find that it has become too salty! Now how can we fix this? The key is to add something acidic to cut that salt. For example, a little more vinegar or lemon juice should help a lot. Also, adding some minced garlic can reduce the saltiness. Give it a try if that’s the case for you.
if you like our oriental spiced potato cauliflower salad, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- Lukewarm potato and bean salad
- Canary Potatoes with Salsa and Chimichurri
- oriental roasted carrots on lentil salad
- Cauliflower Kale Salad with Turmeric Dressing
- Quinoa and barley salad with sweet dates
- Potato salad with coriander pesto
Let’s start by making this delicious twist on the classic potato salad using cauliflower instead of lots of potatoes. Delicious, low carb and easy to make!
Potato Cauliflower Salad
for the dressing:
- 1 clove of garlic
- 50 G tahini*
- 1 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tsp date syrup* substitute maple syrup
- falafel recipe here
- neutral vegetable oil to fry the falafel
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. (convection 180 °C)
- Rinse cauliflower and drain well. Cut the cauliflower into smaller florets and mix in a bowl with the peanut oil, salt, ra el hanout and turmeric powder. Spread the cauliflower on a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast on the middle rack in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Wash and dry the eggplant. Cut the eggplant into 1 cm thick slices, then into 1 cm wide strips and finally into cubes. Lightly salt the aubergine cubes and remove the moisture for about 10 minutes on kitchen paper
- Pat the eggplant dry. Heat vegetable oil in a pan and fry the aubergine cubes until crispy and golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and let cool.
- Wash the potatoes and boil them in lightly salted water for 20 minutes. Drain, allow to cool slightly, peel while still warm and allow to cool. Cut the potatoes into 1x1 cm cubes.
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander, rinse thoroughly and drain well.
- Roast the sesame seeds in a pan without adding fat until golden brown. Put aside.
- Knock out the seeds from half the pomegranate.
- You can find our falafel recipe here .
For the dressing:
- Peel and finely grate or chop the garlic.
- Stir the tahini and mix with 250 ml lukewarm water, grated garlic, lemon juice and date syrup to form a dressing. Season generously with salt.
- Carefully mix the diced potatoes, cauliflower florets, diced aubergines and chickpeas with the tahini dressing. Leave in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- After the potato salad has been able to absorb the flavors for an hour, sprinkle with sesame oil, season with salt and lemon juice and mix carefully.
- Arrange the salad on a plate or in a bowl.
- Serve sprinkled with the pomegranate seeds and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with falafel as an option.