This post is also available on: Deutsch
* Dieser Beitrag kann Affiliate-Links enthalten!
A hearty vegan Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Stew that focuses on the sweetness of carrots and nutty chickpeas. Fragrant spices like paprika, cumin, and harissa make it a warming dish, or a perfect plant-based dinner that you can serve with couscous, bulgur, rice, or flatbread. A simple Moroccan spiced carrot stew made with just onion, carrot, canned tomatoes, some garlic and chickpeas.
A really easy, perfect and delicious weeknight option
I think this is a good recipe for a comfortable meal and at the same time a modest meal that is quick and easy to put on the table for dinner. Fastest and easiest to eat with freshly baked bread , straight from the oven. As you can see in the pictures, we had quickly cooked bulgur, which cooked parallel to the stew.
It’s a surprisingly good tasting stew that’s great to eat on those still crisp spring evenings, very nutritious and warming. It’s full of hearty and healthy veggies. Although the list of ingredients seems long, it doesn’t take that long to prepare since most of the ingredients are the warming spices. The vegetables, actually only the carrots, are peeled and cut into large pieces so that the preparation does not take long. The remaining ingredients such as chickpeas and tomatoes are prepared in the can. A perfect meal if you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
The rest of the ingredients are pretty simple like greens like arugula, kale, or even spinach. Of course, like most of my recipes, it’s also customizable and variable. That means you can play with the recipe depending on what you have in your fridge or what you’re craving.
I look forward to hearing what you think of this Moroccan Spiced Chickpea and Carrot Stew. Please leave your impressions in the comments below. I love hearing from all of you and I hope you all enjoy this easy stew as much as my family and I do.
Enjoy your meal!
Keep the soup vegan and serve with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon – or throw in a little yogurt or sour cream for a little freshness and cream. Add more harissa to taste and taste to enhance the savory flavor.
easy vegan Moroccan carrot and chickpea stew
- 1 el native olive oil*
- 1 Red onion
- 3-4 carrots
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin*
- 1 tsp Cinammon*
- ½ tsp Black pepper*
- 1 tsp Sea-salt*
- ½ tsp paprika powder* hot as a rose
- 400 G canned tomatoes*
- 1 el sugar if needed to balance the tomato acidity
- 175 ml vegetable broth
- 1 can Chickpeas* about 480 g drained weight
- 50 G arugula or spinach, kale, ...
- ½ pomegranate
- Peel the onion and cut into rough strips.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler and cut into slices 3 to 4 mm thick.
- Drain the chickpeas through a sieve and rinse well.
- If you have whole tomatoes in the can, cut them into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté onions for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add carrots and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now stir in the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, salt, harissa, and paprika and lightly toast for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in the tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook the carrots, covered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- When the carrots are almost soft, add the chickpeas and season to taste and season if necessary.
- If the tomatoes are too acidic, add a little sugar to compensate.
- Remove the stew from the heat and stir in the greens, letting them collapse slightly.
- Serve sprinkled with pomegranate seeds and some extra greens.