This post is also available on: Deutsch
* Dieser Beitrag kann Affiliate-Links enthalten!
Chinese Vegan Fried Eggplant – Yu Xiang Qie Zi is a Chinese Eggplant Recipe, The Yu Xiang Eggplant is often listed in Chinese restaurants as Chinese Eggplant in Spicy Garlic Sauce. Typical of Sichuan cuisine, Sichuan Eggplant or Yu Xiang Qie Zi (茄子 in Chinese) actually means “fish-scented” and is a type of flavor quite famous in Sichuan dishes. Our recipe has nothing to do with fish or the pork otherwise used. This recipe is a vegan version of the Chinese classic.
In Chinese restaurants, the aubergines are usually fried first before being fried with the spices. However, in our homemade version, we’ll be pan frying the eggplant. To reduce the oil absorbed during frying and to speed up the process, we soak the eggplant pieces in salted water for about 15 minutes and then dust them with starch. This allows the aubergine to absorb the flavors better.
Quick instructions for Chinese vegan fried eggplant
So, cut the aubergines into strips (preferably leaving some skin on the pieces) and soak in salted water for 10 to 15 minutes. Put a weight on top. Then drain the aubergines, pat dry and sprinkle with cornstarch in batches. Mix well so all the eggplant pieces are well coated.
Put oil in a pan or wok and fry the aubergines until crispy. Take out and set aside. Add a little more oil to the wok (or use another pan) and first fry the chili bean paste and soy strips over low heat until fragrant. Then add garlic, ginger and green onions. Continue frying for a while until they are done. Then deglaze with the mixed sauce.
Finally, add the aubergines to the sauce and stir gently. When the sauce thickens, you can serve.
if you like our chinese vegan fried eggplant, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- Aubergine mini pizza with homemade cashew cheese
- baked Chinese cabbage with oatmeal crust
- Original Baba Ganoush recipe
- Teriyaki Baked Japanese Eggplant
- Cauliflower steaks from the oven
- Chinese pancakes with spring onions
Chinese fried eggplant - vegan
- 2 eggplants
- 200 G Soy mince
- 5 Garlic cloves
- Ginger* walnut size
- 2 spring onions
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 el food starch
- vegetable oil for frying / roasting
- Wash and cut the aubergines into bite-sized pieces. Cut it so that there is still some skin on each piece.
- Place eggplant pieces in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and fill up with cold water until everything is covered. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes, then drain and pat dry and dust with the cornstarch and mix.
- Peel and finely dice the garlic and ginger.
- Wash the spring onions and cut into fine rings. Put some of the greens aside for decoration.
- Cut the chili into fine rings.
- Mix together the sugar, vegetable stock, both soy sauces and dark rice vinegar.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with about 200 ml of cold water and add to the soy sauce.
- Heat vegetable oil in a high pan or wok. (about 175°C) Fry the aubergine cubes in it until crispy. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in another saucepan and sauté the chopped vegetables for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chili bean sauce and soy mince. Fry something.
- Deglaze everything with the sauce and bring to the boil. Season with salt.
- Add the aubergines to the sauce and stir gently. When the sauce thickens, you can serve.