This post is also available on: Deutsch
* Dieser Beitrag kann Affiliate-Links enthalten!
Bake simple juicy wholemeal bread yourself. Hearty, healthy, nutritious and delicious! Are you one of those people who makes your own hummus and bakes your own whole wheat bread? So I’m very happy that I’m like this. Because the other day I bought a loaf of whole grain bread and we just didn’t get around to eating it. We somehow didn’t get around to throwing it away either and I thought to myself: “What kind of garbage must be in this bread that it can still look just as perfect and fresh after 3 weeks?” Hmmm! But we still didn’t taste it!
So we like to make our own wholemeal bread. When it’s as easy as this recipe, then there’s no reason not to do it.
Don’t feel like cooking?
I mean really, when you don’t feel like cooking, just bake this bread and serve it fresh with a delicious salad, homemade hummus , or baba ganoush . Also serve as a chickpea and avocado sandwich or any other variety of toppings and dinner is ready and dusted!
Of course, this juicy wholemeal bread also goes well with homemade soups and curries . So if you’re having a delicious vegan plantain and potato soup or vegan sweet potato and kohlrabi soup or vegan potato goulash for dinner, then this is a great opportunity to dunk.
Why is vinegar in whole wheat bread?
Vinegar helps to keep bread from getting moldy so quickly in summer.
Vinegar is a natural catalyst that reacts with baking soda to release carbon dioxide. This in turn then becomes small bubbles, allows the dough to rise and thus creates the air chambers.
For quick bread recipes (like ours here) you need a high percentage of yeast. Vinegar neutralizes the intense taste.
The rule of thumb for vinegar in bread dough: Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to 2 kg of flour and the bread will keep longer!
Simply bake your own wholemeal bread
- 150 rye flour Type 1150
- 250 G wheat flour Type 1050
- 2 tsp kosher salt*
- ½ Dice fresh yeast or 1 pack dry yeast
- 280 ml water lukewarm
- 1½ el Vinegar
- 130 G sunflower seeds
- Mix both flours with the salt in a bowl.
- Crumble the yeast into 280 ml of lukewarm water and stir. Add the yeast, water, vinegar and 100 g of the sunflower seeds to the flour and knead for about 5 minutes with the food processor or the hand mixer (dough hook).
- Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough again briefly and place in a loaf pan (lined with baking paper). Cover again and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C for a fan oven).
- Brush the dough with a little water and sprinkle the remaining sunflower seeds (or seeds of your choice) on top. Then bake for about 45-50 minutes.
Pin this recipe for the juicy wholemeal bread to bake at Pinterest and cook later