This post is also available on: Deutsch
* Dieser Beitrag kann Affiliate-Links enthalten!
Ayurvedic vegan cucumber curry with coconut milk
A gentle vegan Ayurvedic pickled cucumber curry from the Indian subcontinent that manages to retain the cucumber’s innate refreshing properties
Cucumber curry with yellow cucumber, sweet potatoes and spices. This simple and delicious pickle curry is a staple of Indian cuisine. It is eaten with regular rice, chapati, roti or phulka. This cucumber curry also pairs well with brown rice or even simply cooked millet. This vegetable is slightly spicy and cools down the body. So this recipe is the winner if you want to eat something light and healthy without having to do a lot of work in the kitchen.
If you are a newbie in the kitchen and learning to cook for your family, try this easy curry for your meal. You can cook this in no time, plus it’s vegan and tastes delicious.
Tips for vegan braised cucumber curry
Cucumber : This recipe calls for the large yellow cucumbers (stewed cucumbers) and not the green cucumbers (the ones you use for salads). In some places it is also known as a curry cucumber. The cucumber must be firm
and not ripe.
Sweet Potatoes : should be firm to the touch and smooth on the outside. They have a long shelf life and, if not used immediately, can be stored in a cool, dark, dry place for up to 12 weeks.
Many people might think that cucumbers contain little more than just water. But cucumbers are high in antioxidants. They are also great for hydration and contain vitamin C, vitamin K, magnesium, potassium and manganese.
Cucumbers are also low in carbs, making them a perfect ingredient for a low carb or keto recipe. This recipe is actually perfect for the keto diet. Just add some coconut milk and voila – you stay in ketosis!
If you like our pickled cucumber curry, you might also be interested in these drink recipes:
- vegan turnip curry
- Ayurvedic turmeric lentil curry
- Chickpea noodle curry
- ayurvedic ginger basil lemonade
- more vegetable curry recipes
vegan ayurvedic pickle curry
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1x1 cm cubes.
- Peel the squash, cut in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Dice about the size of the sweet potatoes.
- Wash the peppers, halve, deseed, remove the membrane and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Peel and finely grate the ginger.
- Heat the coconut oil in a wide saucepan. Sweat the mustard seeds until they start to crack. Now add the grated ginger, black cumin and the remaining spices and sweat a little so that they release their flavors..
- Reduce the heat and sauté the peppers for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cucumber cubes and sauté for another 3 minutes. Now add the sweet potatoes and simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
- Then add coconut milk and mango chutney, let everything boil up again briefly and then taste the braised cucumber curry with salt.
- Serve sprinkled with freshly chopped coriander.