Baking a simple & cheap pumpkin seed bread yourself is not as difficult as you think. For me, crusty, warm bread is one of the best things in the world. It’s even better when it comes out of your own oven. Making homemade bread is so rewarding. I love the process of bread baking, the smell of bread baking and looking at and eating homemade bread.
This pumpkin seed bread is one of the easiest baking creations. Baking fresh bread is the feeling I enjoy most in the kitchen, especially when friends and family are around. When the bread comes out of the oven, your nostrils are filled with the smell of freshly baked bread. The rising heat hits your face from the oven and all you want to do is grab and bite into the steaming hot bread.
What’s in this pumpkin seed bread?
The ingredients are manageable and we deliberately avoid expensive sourdough (from the supermarket). Pumpkin Seed Bread is a whole wheat yeast bread filled with raw pumpkin seeds. The seeds are added to the dough and sprinkled on top of the bread. The only thing you should plan is some time.
What temperature should water be before adding yeast?
The water should be between 35°C and 40°C. Any warmer and you can kill the yeast. A cooler and the yeast may not become active. The water temperature is best measured with a thermometer. Warm tap water is usually between this range. Practice testing the temperature with a thermometer until you get used to how it feels.
simple & cheap pumpkin seed bread
- Dissolve the fresh yeast in the lukewarm water.
- Mix both flours, ⅔ of the pumpkin seeds (leave the rest for sprinkling) with salt. Pour in the yeast water and knead into a dough with the dough hook of your food processor or hand mixer.
- Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Then knead the dough again on a floured work surface, form a loaf and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Cover and let rise again for 1 hour.
- Spray or brush the loaf with a little water. Scatter the remaining pumpkin seeds on top.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Bake the pumpkin seed bread at 220 °C for about 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 200 °C and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven until golden brown and crispy and enjoy!