Simple beet and barley salad, barley barley, beetroot with few spices are sure to have in your kitchen. Together they make a tasty and filling salad as a side dish or alone as a complete meal. This easy salad showcases roasted beets amidst tender barleycorns with a touch of fresh dill to balance the flavors.
barley / pearl barley
At my nutrition counseling seminar, I fell in love with the nutty flavor and tangy texture of barley. Before that I only knew it from stews from the school kitchen. I learned that pearl barley is high in resistant starch and fiber, which is beneficial for our gut health, so I decided to give these grains a try. And what can I say, I love it! It is now an integral part of our menu at home and in our restaurant.
And there are many ways to enjoy pearl barley: they can be used in soups, salads, pilaf and risotto and combined in many different ways. I use pearl barley on this blog in this Italian -tasting Spelled Barley Salad with Vegetables and Quinoa Barley Salad with Dates .
Turnips / Beetroot
Beets are a good source of folic acid, vitamins C and B6, potassium, magnesium and fiber. Beets also contain betanin, a phytonutrient that gives the root its deep pigment and acts as an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and detoxifying agent.
Like other beetroots, they can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. The dark flesh of the beetroot can stain your fingers, so gloves are recommended when preparing it. The beets can be boiled, roasted or pureed directly. Beets can also be served mixed with sautéed red cabbage as a side dish to accentuate the bright seasonal colors.
What goes well with beetroot: mangoes, cucumber, endive, shallot, goat’s cheese, feta, dill, salmon, shrimp, pistachios, and smoked paprika. Seasoned with lemon juice, vinegar and/or smoked salt.
Shelf life: The roots will keep for a few weeks if stored in a cool, dry and dark place. Crapaudine beets can also be cooked and frozen for up to two months.
if you like our simple beet and barley salad, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- Beet beauty the beetroot salad
- Prayer bowl on spelt and chickpeas
- spicy beetroot carrot curry
- Cauliflower Kale Salad with Turmeric Dressing
- Quinoa and barley salad with sweet dates
- Potato salad with coriander pesto
Easy Beet and Barley Salad
for the beetroot:
- 4 Beetroot fresh or pre-cooked
- 1 el native olive oil*
- kosher salt*
for the pearl barley:
- 200 G barley
- 600 ml water
other salad ingredients:
- feta cheese or vegan feto
- more pumpkin seeds
- pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Scrub the beets clean with a brush. (use the easy version with pre-cooked beets, skip the baking step and dice the beets right away. )
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Wrap each beet in some aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet or in a small casserole dish.
- Roast the beets in the preheated oven for about 1 hour. When tender, you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- Meanwhile, bring the water for the pearl barley to a boil in a large enough saucepan. Add the barley, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the barley is tender and most of the water has been absorbed, about 40 minutes .
- Add the barley, reduce to a simmer and simmer until the barley is tender and most of the water has been absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Strain the barley through a sieve, if necessary, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Let the beetroot cool down a little and peel off the skin while still warm and dice.
- Add pray to the pearl barley in the bowl.
- Rinse the spring onions and cut into fine rings.
- Rinse dill and shake dry. Cut fine.
- Stir in the spring onions, dill, pumpkin seeds, lemon juice and syrup. Season with and pepper.
- Serve with or without a topping.
- Enjoy your meal!
Pin this vegan easy beet and barley salad side salad recipe on Pinterest to cook later