Easy and Quick Carrot Stew is essentially a humble soup made from a few simple ingredients that you might have lying around in the kitchen right now. This simple stew is as delicious as any good home-style soup, but the addition of chopped wild garlic, or how we like it, a good spoonful of vegan wild garlic pesto makes this soup extra special. In most wild garlic soups, the wild garlic is pureed with the rest of the ingredients, but we stir it in at the end and let it steep like fresh herbs.
Healthy Benefits of Carrots
The carrot, also known as carrot or turnip, is a root vegetable that is often said to be the perfect natural food. Carrots are crunchy, tasty and very nutritious. Carrots are a particularly good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium and antioxidants. Also, they also have a number of health benefits. They are a weight loss food, have been linked to lower cholesterol and improved eye health. In addition, the carotene antioxidants found in carrots are said to reduce the risk of cancer.
Carrots come in many colors including yellow, white, orange, red, and purple. Orange carrots get their vibrant color from beta-carotene, an antioxidant that your body converts to vitamin A. Not only are carrots good for you, but they’re also one of my favorite basics for a simple soup. They cook quickly and when mixed with a few simple ingredients transform into a smooth, rich and slightly sweet soup that’s a wonderful bowl of warmth on a chilly spring evening.
Simple and quick carrot stew with wild garlic and pesto
- Peel potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces. You can cut small potatoes into slices (about half a centimeter thick)
- Peel the carrots and also cut into slices.
- Peel and coarsely dice the onion.
- Peel and finely dice the garlic.
- Clean the mushrooms and also cut into slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté briefly.
- Now put the potatoes, carrots and mushrooms in the pot and stew briefly.
- Pour in the broth to cover everything well.
- Add the allspice, bay leaves and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently, about 15 to 18 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Season the stew with salt and lemon juice.
- Rinse wild garlic and chop finely.
- Serve the carrot stew sprinkled with fresh wild garlic. It gets really tasty with a spoonful of homemade wild garlic pesto .