Vegan and under 100 calories, Cinnamon Apple Pie Cookies are still on track for a healthy 2021. Just like the namesake, these apple pie cookies are loaded with fruit and warming spices. With this simple and uncomplicated recipe we are done faster than with an apple pie. That’s also what makes it so dangerous, you’ll feel like me: you can’t stop eating 😂. Over the past few years we have noticed at our restaurant how much people love healthy cookies and this recipe for clean and healthy cookies falls into that category. Eating healthy shouldn’t be deprivation and these oatmeal cookies don’t taste healthy at all!
Think of the Cinnamon Apple Pie Cookies as double crust apple pie with a chewy texture. The crust turns golden without burning and the tender fruit hides inside. I love it when my oatmeal cookies are full of crunchy oatmeal, so I actually use more oatmeal than flour. Just be aware, too much oatmeal will dry out your cookies.
Tips and variations for baking the vegan cinnamon apple pie biscuits
Please make sure to weigh the rolled oats and the flour as accurately as possible with a kitchen scale. Too much of either would dry out the cookies and make them crumbly. Use instant oatmeal. I baked here with spelled wholemeal flour. But they can also use gluten-free oatmeal and gluten-free flour .
You can determine the size of the apple pieces yourself, depending on the result you want to achieve. The larger the apple chunks, the crunchier and less soft they will be. For best results, use finely diced apples. These don’t become too soft during baking and not as crispy as large pieces. If you keep the biscuits in a biscuit jar for a few days, the apple pieces will naturally soften over time. I prefer sweet and red apples. However, you can use green apples for a stronger flavor.
These cookies are sweetened with agave syrup. Alternatively, you can use honey or maple syrup. If you don’t have any of these on hand when you get those cravings, 100g of brown sugar mixed with 75ml of grain or soy milk can also be substituted. The cooling and baking times remain the same.
If all the ingredients are measured correctly, the cookie dough should look like a chewy granola. Cooling down before baking is a must, as this prevents the biscuits from becoming thin and flat slices when baking.
vegan cinnamon apple pie cookies
- First we make our vegan egg. To do this, mix the tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of hot water and let it swell for about 15 minutes.
- Then mix together the dry ingredients like rolled oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Melt the coconut oil or margarine in a saucepan (just melt and don't heat too much). Stir in the vanilla extract and agave syrup. Stir into the dry ingredients together with the "vegan egg".
- Peel and core the apple and cut into small cubes. Carefully fold the apple into the batter. Chill the dough for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 170°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Depending on the size, form 12 to 16 balls from the dough, which you press flat on the baking tray (about 0.5 to 1 cm thick).
- Bake the cookies for about 14-16 minutes.
- Let them cool on the baking sheet.