Caramelizing onions is one thing, but adding fennel brings another dimension to this dish with its sweet aniseed bite. Not to mention that it smells amazing while cooking. So impress your friends by adding caramelized fennel with sweet onions to their dishes. Caramelized Fennel is a great side dish with a sweet taste and hint of anise, you will be impressed.
For the Caramelized Fennel with Sweet Onions, the fennel and onions are first sautéed and then slowly cooked until caramelized to a lovely brown. Finally, it is refined with Parmesan, lemon and freshly chopped parsley.
Buying fresh fennel, what should you pay attention to:
- Tubers are clean, firm, with no signs of cracking, bruising, or brown spots
- Fennel bulbs should always be whitish or light green in color
- The stems are straight, green and close around the bulb
- there are no signs of flowering buds (flowering means they are mature)
- The aroma of the fragrance should be slightly like liquorice or anise
You can keep fresh fennel in the fridge for about 4 days.
if you like our vegan caramelized fennel with sweet onions, you might also be interested in these recipes:
- oven-roasted fennel with Parmesan
- Beetroot fennel salad on radicchio
- Fennel gratin with wild rice vegan
- vegan roasted cauliflower on mashed potatoes
- Fennel chicory salad
- more vegetable recipes
Caramelized fennel with sweet onions
- Wash the fennel, remove the stalks (dispose of) and put the fine green part aside, halve the bulb and cut into wedges about 0.5 cm thick.2-3 fennel bulb
- Peel the red or white onion and cut into 0.5 cm thick slices.1 Red onion
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fennel and onions and sauté slowly for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then salt.2 el native olive oil*, kosher salt*
- Reduce the heat a little more, so the pan is hot enough to start the caramelization, but not too hot that the fennel and onions dry out. If this happens, add a tablespoon or two of water.1 el butter
- Stir occasionally and scrape any bits off the bottom. These brown parts are the ones that bring the most flavor.
- Cook everything for 30 minutes or up to an hour, depending on how impatient you are or until the consistency suits you.
- The longer the fennel cooks, the more caramelized the fennel and onions will become.
- Meanwhile, rinse and shake dry the parsley and basil. Finely chop the parsley. Cut the basil into fine strips just before serving.1 small bunch parsley, 1 small Bunch of basil
- To serve, remove pan from heat, add grated parmesan, chopped parsley, finely chopped basil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with freshly ground black pepper.juice of half a lemon, 1 small bunch parsley, 1 small Bunch of basil, zest of half a lemon
- Serve garnished with the reserved fresh fennel greens and lemon wedges.