Spicy Beetroot Chickpea Salad with Yoghurt, a delicious vegetarian salad dish inspired by the taste of South East Asia. This beetroot salad is such a treat, but I’m not even sure I can call it a salad as it doesn’t contain any leafy greens that you would normally associate with salad. But since I can’t call it a dip or appetizer either, I use the term „salad“. It’s actually a meal in itself. All you need is some good crusty bread on the side and you will be perfectly satisfied. A healthy, filling and incredibly flavorful meal for lunch or dinner.
You can also enjoy beetroot chickpea salad with yoghurt as a starter with a sophisticated dinner or as a snack with crispbread, for example while watching TV.
What do you need?
Beetroot or other turnips are super healthy root vegetables packed with vitamins and minerals. For the salad you need 3 to 4 medium-sized beets. It doesn’t matter whether it’s pre-cooked or fresh. Pre-cooked is of course quicker to process. In my opinion, freshness brings better colors to the plate after baking.
A can of cooked chickpeas is fine, but you can cook the chickpeas yourself if you prefer. To do this, you must soak the chickpeas in plenty of water for at least 12 hours and then boil them in fresh water until soft. Most package directions for dried chickpeas say to cook the chickpeas for just one hour. In my experience, chickpeas always take longer. Check the chickpeas and continue cooking if necessary until tender but not mushy.
I’ve used low-fat Greek yogurt at 3.5% fat, but full-fat would be fine too. Both plain yogurt and Greek yogurt are excellent sources of protein, calcium and probiotics.
More Fresh Salad Recipes You May Love:
- Beetroot chickpea salad with zaatar
- Masala baked potatoes with yoghurt and tamarind
- light pan-fried vegetables with grilled cheese
- Quinoa barley salad with dates vegan
- vegan mediterranean chickpea salad
- rich deluxe summer salad
Mix up this Beetroot and Chickpea Salad. It’s really easy and goes well with grilled halloumi, in pita or flatbread. The flavorful winter salad, with warming spices, is rich in protein and color. Serve this yoghurt dish as a side dish or on its own with crusty flatbread.
Beetroot salad with chickpeas and yoghurt
- 500 G Chickpeas* can
- 3-4 Beetroot cooked
- 2 Apple acidic
- 1 Red onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 200 G greek yogurt at least 3.5% fat or vegan alternative
- 1 el Dijon mustard*
- ½ tsp black cumin*
- ½ tsp Cumin*
- ½ tsp fennel whole*
- ½ tsp mustard seeds*
- 3 el Peanut oil*
- 3 el Apple Cider Vinegar*
- 3 el maple syrup* or agave syrup
- juice of half a lemon
- kosher salt*
- Pepper* from the mill
- 1 small bunch parsley
- Walnut kernels*
- Roast all dry spices (except salt and pepper) in a pan without adding fat until fragrant. Crush in a mortar or spice grinder.
- Put yoghurt in a bowl. Mix in the spices, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, peanut oil and maple syrup.
- Dice the beetroot. About 1 x 1 cm.
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander, rinse well and drain.
- Peel onion and garlic. Finely dice onions. Finely grate the garlic.
- Wash and core the apple and cut into small cubes. Mix with lemon juice.
- Rinse and coarsely chop the parsley.
- Roast the walnuts in a dry pan.
- Add everything to the yoghurt sauce and mix. Season with salt and pepper.